How to feed your plants
Plants make their own food in their leaves from sunlight, water and carbon dioxide to create sugars and oxygen. But they also need additional nutrients and trace elements, which they derive from the soil around their roots.
Most plants will grow without additional plant food, however they will not thrive and they will not achieve their full potential.
It’s easy to get the very best from your plants by ensuring that they have all the nutrients they need and more. Simply feed them at every level to provide for their exacting needs.
There are many ways to feed your plants, including:
A traditional plant food
Some gardeners love the routine or weekly or fortnightly feeding, it puts them in touch with their plants.
When you need to get food into them fast, a liquid feed is ideal.
Gro-Sure All Purpose Liquid Food, which is packed with nutrients for healthy flowers and fruits and is seaweed enriched. Plus it also has a Which? Gardening Best Buy.
If you are feeding ericaceous plants (acid-loving plants), then use Gro-Sure Ericaceous Plant Food.
A slow-release plant food
If you’re pushed for time and want to be sure that your plants have the right amount of food, opt for a clever technique that trickle feeds plant food on a regular basis.
Gro-Sure Slow Release Plant Food granules are activated by warmth, exactly the time when garden plants are growing fast. All you need to do is mix them into the soil around your plants.
More than just a plant food!
If you’re looking for something that will help you easily create spectacular results all season long, look no further than Gro-Sure Planting Magic.
This contains 4 key ingredients that will really boost your plants and flowers (it can also be used on veg, shrubs and trees!)
- Water-storing pockets – Help counteract over and under-watering, cleverly holding onto their own weight in water and then encouraging drainage of excess water away from the roots.
- Fast-acting nutrients – To promote more flowers
- Slow-release nutrient granules – To ensure your plant continues to thrive and receive the nourishment it needs for up to 6 months.
- Seaweed – A fantastic natural product that adds valuable nutrients to the soil, helping to sustain healthy plant growth for visibly better results.
A compost with added feed
Choose a good quality compost that provides feed for several weeks and the correct additional nutrients to support plant growth and plenty of flowers.
You do not need to use additional feed with the following composts:
Gro-Sure Easy Containers Compost – Feeds for up to 6 months.
Gro-Sure Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost – Feeds for 4 months.
Gro-Sure Container & Basket Compost – Feeds for up to 4 months
Feeds for specialist plants
When you’ve got specialist plants, they need expert care and attention. That’s why we’ve formulated a range of dedicated plant foods, such as:
- Ericaceous Plant Food – Great for acid-loving plants, such as Rhododendrons, Azaleas and Camellias.
- Indoor Plant Food – Added potash for longer lasting flowers
- Cactus Plant Food – High potash for improved flowering
- Bonsai Plant Food – Reduces excessive top growth
- Rose Food – Enriched with horse manure for bigger blooms