5 things to sow this weekend
February 3, 2016
Get ahead of the crowd by getting your essential fruit and veg seeds sown in plenty of time to germinate and thrive.
Spring’s not far away now, so if, like me you’ve got an uneventful weekend ahead of you, why not put it to good use by pottering around in the garden and starting off your spring time sowing.
The following will all benefit from some extra time in the ground and can be sown right now:
- Chillies – Sow in modules and leave to germinate on a sunny windowsill.
- Leeks – Sow directly into pre-watered shallow rows in the soil.
- Onions – Get onion sets from your local garden centre or online. Plant the sets 10cm apart and cover with a fleece until the risk of frost passes.
- Potatoes – Place seed potatoes in recycled egg boxes, rose end up, and leave in a cool, dry place. They should sprout (chit) and be ready to be sown in March.
- Tomatoes – Sow in modules or use our fool-proof Gro-Sure Sow Smart Kit and leave to germinate on a sunny windowsill
For further information on growing fruit and vegetables, check out our growing guides.
Read more blog entries...