As chicks and young birds will spend so much time in them, it’s vital to keep nest boxes clean to prevent disease and ill health.
Here are our vital steps for keeping nest boxes clean and ready for the development of strong, healthy birds:
- Clean nesting boxes between September and January, when they are no longer occupied
- Do not disturb the box between February and August as this is when it is most likely to be occupied
- Always rinse and air-dry before use
- Always wear rubber gloves when interacting with nest boxes, as some diseases can affect humans too
- Don’t use cleaning brushes for any other purpose
- Choose a nest box that has a flip top lid to make it easier to access and clean