Keeping Bird feeders clean
When you have a large number of bird’s visiting your bird feeding areas, the risk of disease inevitably increases, and therefore prevention is key.
Most diseases are actually transmitted by bird droppings, and if contaminated droppings then mix with the food you have put out, then unfortunately the birds can pick up the infection.
If you are in the process of looking for a new feeder, try and choose one that is durable as well as easy to take apart and put back together, such as our Peckish 3 Port Feeder, which as a removable base for easy cleaning
Here are some top tips for keeping your garden birds happy and healthy:
- Always monitor the amount of food you are putting out. If it’s taking days to be eaten, then reduce down the amount of food
- Decide whether you will use a bird table or hanging feeders. If using a table, ensure that the table and surrounding areas is kept clean and free from droppings or mouldy food. If you prefer to place food on the ground try to put it on a ground feeding tray as this will be easier to keep clean.
- Remember that food on the ground should all be gone before night-time, as Rats will be attracted to the leftovers
- Move feeders to different areas of the garden to prevent a build-up of droppings on the ground
- Avoid putting feeders under garden features where birds might roost, as this will prevent contamination through droppings
How to clean your Bird Feeder
Clean and wash your bird table or hanging feeders fortnightly:
- Please do not bring your feeders into your home to clean them. Do this outside using separate cleaning brushes ensuring they are not used for any other purpose. Our Peckish Feeder Cleaning Brush is perfect for this job.
- Always wear rubber gloves when interacting with feeders, as some diseases can affect humans too
- Empty the contents of the feeder and dispose
- Fill a bucket with hot water and scrub the feeder inside and out with a mild disinfectant (5% solution) and a cleaning brush
- Rinse the feeder with cold water from your outside tap and let air-dry before use