Remember, remember... prepare your Parrot for the 5th of November
Leading pet bird food brand, Bucktons, has issued some timely advice ahead of the forthcoming Bonfire Night celebrations.
Parrots, Budgerigars, Canaries, Finches, Cockatiels and Lovebirds can get very scared of the loud noises and flashes that come with fireworks, just like dogs and cats. Advanced planning can make a real difference and help to minimise the stress on your pet bird.
Kirk Rothwell, Brand Manager for Bucktons said: “Don’t forget fireworks are used throughout the Bonfire Night season these days and not just November 5. We’ve put together a few pointers on how to make fireworks less stressful for your parrots and other pet birds and a bit more enjoyable for you.”
- Keep doors and windows closed and close the curtains. This will help to deafen the sound of loud bangs.
- Reassure your parrot by talking to them.
- Keep calm yourself. Parrots and other pet birds can easily pick up on your anxiety and this in turn will affect them.
- Covering their cage isn’t necessary, unless it’s part of your bird’s normal routine.
- Try playing your parrot’s favourite music or turn the television on to help drown out the noise from the fireworks. Parrots love music and the familiarity of the sound will help soothe them.
- If your parrot often becomes very distressed, then consult your vet who may be able to provide further advice on what you can do.
Bucktons manufacture the Bucktons Aviary Food pre-pack range, including specialist mixes for Parrots, Cockatiels and Lovebirds, Finches, Budgerigars and Canaries.
The range of foods are sold in a re-sealable pack for added consumer ease. They contain a unique natural supplement, called Spiralina which helps enhance plumage, as well as supporting a healthy immune and digestive function, benefiting birds overall health.
Log onto the Bucktons website for further information