- Natural English loam blended with nutrient rich organic matter
- Forms an ideal base for new garden features or renovating existing ones
- 25 litre
- Product Details
- How to use
- tips & advice
Made from natural loam blended with nutrient rich organic matter. It is ideal for topping up existing
borders, creating raised beds for vegetables, salads and herbs and creating new lawns.
- Ideal for lawn preparation and levelling
- Suitable for new gardens, raised areas and rockeries
How to Use
Topping up existing borders
Make sure you fork the top soil into the existing soil so that it is well blended. It is not a good idea to just spread the top soil
over the existing soil as the drainage properties may be different.
Creating raised beds for vegetables
The top soil contains coarse organic matter and some stones – this is essential to keep the structure of the soil open and to prevent compaction. For hungry plants add Farmyard Manure. For permanent vegetable plots follow a system of crop rotation.
Creating raised beds for salads and herbs
For cut-and-come again salads, parsley, coriander and chives mix top soil with a multi-purpose compost. For thyme, marjoram and other Mediterranean herbs mix top soil with horticultural sand.
Creating new lawns
J. Arthur Bower’s Top Soil can be forked into the existing soil prior to laying turf or sowing seed. Rake over, if sowing seed, to remove large stones and coarse material.
- Make sure any pots are clean and free-draining, wear gloves and don’t use in an enclosed space to avoid breathing in dust.
- After use, wash hands before eating, drinking or smoking and close the bag to keep it moist and prevent contamination.
- During storage and use you may occasionally notice a white mold growing on the organic matter content. This is perfectly natural and is not harmful in any way to seeds, plants or humans.
- Simply ignore the mold and continue to use the product as normal. The mold will normally disappear after watering. Ericaceous plants need an acid environment. For lime-hating plants such as azaleas and heathers we recommend J. Arthur Bower’s Ericaceous Compost
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I use this for my houseplants?
A. We would recommend using a ready made compost mix suitable for houseplants, However it can be used within a compost mix made to your own requirements.
Q. Does this Top Soil contain any fertiliser?
A. No, Top Soil is rich in organic matter however it does not contain nutrients vital for healthy plant growth and establishment
For any other questions or advice please contact our Technical Advice line on: 01480 443789 (Mon-Fri 9am- 5pm) or email email@example.com