Peckish Westwood Nest Box is a great way to help birds during the breeding season
- Predator resistant
- FSC 100% certified wood
- Drainage holes to prevent moisture build up
- Easy to clean side openings
- Designed to BTO standards
- Interchangeable front to help birds from the tit family
- Height: 24.3cm Width: 19cm Depth: 16cm
- How to Use
- Tips & Advice
Where to Site
- Shelter from wind, rain and direct sunlight
- The front of the nest box should be angled slightly downwards to prevent rain from entering
- When fitting, use galvanised or stainless screws / nails that will not rust
- Access pre-drilled screw hole through side opening
- If fixing to trees use galvanised wire to tie the box to the trunk or hang it from a branch. Regularly inspect the fittings
- Make sure cats and squirrels cannot get into the box
- Install it high up (at least 3 metres) on a wall
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Where is the best location for my nest box?
A. Where you place your nest box is important. Ideally you want to create a safe and comfortable environment for the birds.
Top tips are: not too close to another nest box; sheltered from the weather; if its open fronted it should be hidden from view. Make sure cats and other predators (squirrels) cannot get into the box. Keep the box away from feeding sites — too much activity could deter potential nesters. Put them up in winter — birds will start to pair from mid February onwards, so springtime can be too late.
Q. How high should my nest box be?
A. The ideal height for a small – hole type nest box is between 1m and 3m above the ground with a clear flight path. Care must be given to make sure the box isn’t easily accessible to predators
Q. My nest box has never been used. Why is this happening?
A. You can increase the chances of a box being used by choosing a suitable location. There could be multiple factors that stop birds using your nest box, such as the presence of natural nesting areas nearby.
For any other questions or advice please contact our Technical Advice line on: 01480 443789 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or email email@example.com