PRODUCT DISCONTINUED: PAGE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost has been specially developed to give gardeners the ideal medium for planting roses, trees and shrubs as well as fruit trees and bushes. Containing 8-12 weeks feed and our patented West+ fibre, this high performance compost offers unrivalled results in plant health, root establishment and moisture retention.
- Exceptional growing results with 8-12 weeks feed for season long flowering
- Easier to re-wet and excellent moisture retention for up to 50% less watering
- Aids the long-term establishment of plant through good root development
- An open-textured compost for planting and moving new and established trees, shrubs and roses
- With added magnesium for greener leaves and bone meal for better root growth
- Feeds for up to 12 weeks
- 50 litre
- Product Details
- How to Use
- Tips & Advice
J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost contains a rich mixture of essential nutrients and trace elements to help the plant establish itself. It has enhanced magnesium levels to keep roses healthy and added bonemeal to encourage strong root growth and better plant development.
This open-textured compost allows essential air movement, necessary for strong root development whilst also providing ideal water retaining properties. The compost will feed for 8 to 12 weeks. After that we recommend feeding roses with rose food and shrubs, conifers and trees alternately with bone meal and either growmore or fish, blood & bone.
At Westland we are always striving to make our products clearer and easier to understand so you can make more informed purchase decisions. J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub compost contains peat & West+ for a better, more consistent growing medium with improved moisture and nutrient retention. It offers the ideal balance between air and water holding, making it the perfect environment for healthy root growth.
What is West+
J. Arthur Bower’s compost contains a mix of peat and West+ wood fibre giving it a distinctive appearance.
West+ wood fibre is a light fibrous material that provides the following great benefits:
- More flowers, fruit and vegetables
- Stronger root systems for healthier plants
- Controls moisture for less watering
- Guaranteed growing results
How to Use
Beds & Borders
- Dig a hole twice the size of root ball diameter and add a layer of compost
- Place plant in hole and back fill with compost
- Firm compost around plant and water well
- Water plant well and allow to drain before potting
- Allow enough space to accommodate roots
- Remove from pot and plant in new container, firming the compost gently around the roots, water well
- Once fully planted, water well
- Fill seed tray evenly with compost, then firm gently and water
- Make sloping cut in stem of cutting and remove all bottom leaves
- Dip end of cutting in hormone rooting powder to encourage rooting
- Make hole in the compost with pencil or dibber
- Place cutting into hole and firm compost gently around it
- Cover seed tray with glass/polythene to prevent drying out and place in a warm spot away from direct sunlight, until cuttings have taken
Spring & autumn are the most popular planting times, although any time of the year is possible for container-grown plants as long as the soil is not waterlogged, frozen or very dry.
Ericaceous plants need an acid environment. For lime-hating plants such as camellias, rhododendrons and azaleas, we recommend J. Arthur Bower’s Ericaceous Compost.
During storage and use, you may occasionally notice a white mold growing on the composted organic matter content. This is perfectly natural and is not harmful in any way to seeds, plants or humans.
Simply ignore the mold and continue to use the product as normal. The mold will normally disappear after a few waterings
- Unsuitable for ericaceous (lime hating) plants
- Store in a dry frost free place away from weed killers and other garden chemicals
- Reseal bag after use
- Use in a well ventilated place and avoid breathing in dust
- Always wear gloves when gardening and then wash hands after use
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will my pets or wildlife be attracted to this product?
A. J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost may contain organic elements so you should make sure the compost is well dug in as it could be attractive to some animals
Q. Can I use this compost for my houseplants?
A. J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub can be used with larger houseplants however you may want to choose a more specific to your requirements—for example our Houseplant potting mix
Q. Can I use this compost for Fruit & Vegetables?
A. Yes, you will get great results with this compost with you fruit and vegetables. Supplement with a suitable plant feed after 4 months, or if you are growing particularly nutrient hungry crops
For any questions or advice, please contact our technical advice line on 01480 443789 (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org