The NEW Unwins catalogue will be landing on doorsteps after Christmas, packed with over 100+ new and exclusive varieties for 2017 and innovative plants for both indoor and outdoor.
With daylight hours still at a minimum, the New Year is a great opportunity for gardeners to take stock of their gardens and start planning for the spring and summer ahead. A few gentle hours spent in an armchair deciding on colour schemes and veg plot essentials will improve your mood greatly and reap great rewards come the spring. Here are some of our top picks:
Year of the Zinnia
The bright and colourful Zinnia is the official flower of 2017. We’ve got a stunning selection to choose from:
- Zinnia Yellow Flame (NEW) – With beautiful yellow and deep orange ombre petals. Available as a plant.
- Zinnia Raspberry Lemonade Mix – A mix of vivid pastel shades, including raspberry pink, lemon yellow and white. Available as a plant or seed.
- Zinnia Old Mexico – Gorgeous fiery hues of chilli reds and golden yellows to give a rustic charm to beds and borders. Available as a seed.
Petunia Tumbelina Maria (NEW)
A mass of delicate purple tumbling flowers that last all summer long. Great for hanging baskets, This Petunia won the ‘Best New Annual’ category at the Horticultural Trade Association Plant Show 2016 and is the younger sister of the hugely popular Priscilla.
Three perfectly matched plants in each plug. No planning or guessing required. Simply plant and enjoy your perfectly coordinated pot or container! Available in 5 different colour schemes.
Aquilegia vulgaris Winky (NEW)
With delicate rosebud blooms, perfect for planting en masses in borders and patio containers. This fern-like foliate is abundant in late spring, taking over from spring flowering bulbs. Available as plants in 2 varieties:
- Winky Weah – Lilac and yellow flowers
- Winky Wooh – Dusky pink and cream flowers
Meconopsis Lingholm (NEW)
One of the most reliable forms of Himalayan Poppy. These distinctive brown hairy stems and leaves boast blooms of 10cm across. Perfect for shady sites with moist soil. Available as packs of 3 young plants.
Pollen Free Lily (NEW)
An outstanding collection of 4 varieties of Lily bulbs, carefully handpicked by our experts. They are pollen-free so won’t set off hayfever allergies, won’t stain clothes and they won’t harm your pets.
Bedding Sweet Peas (NEW)
Who said Sweet Peas have to climb? We’ve got two dwarf varieties that are real showstoppers and perfect as bedding plants.
- Cherub Northern Lights – With exquisite, fragrant blooms. Plant in the front of a border to create swathes of beauty.
- Cherub Mix (NEW) – A mix of sweet peas that will create perfectly formed flowers above a neat compact foliage. Beautifully fragranced. Ideal for patio pots and containers.
Front door makeovers
Is your front door in need of a makeover? Make your home more inviting by enhancing your doorway with our new collections:
- Wisteria sineris Blue Sapphire – A vigorous trailing wisteria whose leaves change colour and shape with the seasons.
- Buxus Sempervirens – Dense evergreen plants shaped into a ball shape. Perfect in large pots either side of a front door and in particular, partially shaded areas.
- Half Standard Culinary Olive Trees – Smart, sophisticated, evergreen and reasonably cold resistant. These olive trees grow slowly and are relatively easy to maintain.
- Half Standard Culinary Bay Trees – A favourite for the front door as they have many uses. They look smart and can be used for cooking and for topiary.
Air Purifying Plants (NEW)
Low maintenance plants to clean the air inside your home. Our new range of indoor house plants absorb pollutants and toxic chemical compounds from everyday products around the home. Recommended by NASA’s ‘Clean Air Study’. Includes Spathiphyllum wallisii, Sansevieria cylindrica, Sansevieria laurentii and Aloe Vera.
Kitchen Garden collections
Are you looking for an easy fix to improve the flavour of your dishes? Grow your own ingredients with our kitchen garden collections:
- Pizza Herb Collection – Just like Mama used to make! Thyme, Oregano and Rosemary to add bold flavours to your pizza and Italian inspired meals.
- Asian Wok Collection – If you fancy a taste of Asia on your plate, prepare to be blown away with this collection of Rungia Klossi (mushroom herb), Ginger Mint and Helichrysum Italicum (curry plant).
- Ice Tea Collection – Ideal for making iced teas to cool you during the summer. Melissa officinalis (lemon balm), Mint Multimentha (mint) and Lippa citriodora (lemon verbena).
For further information, visit the Unwins website.