Whether you are a seasoned gardener or just starting out its essential you have the right tools for the job. As using the wrong tools for the job can make long work of what should be quick and easy tasks. This in turn can become very off-putting and you may feel you do not want to return to those garden jobs again. To ensure this doesn’t happen we have put together a list of 10 must have tools.
Here at Kent & Stowe we have a tool to make every task an easier and more enjoyable one. which can be very off-putting. Our advice is always to start with the basics that you will use time and time again. Most of our tools are available in both stainless and carbon steel.
So here are our top 10 must have Kent & Stowe tools:
Used for general digging, aerating and for lifting up plants. Make sure that the fork is suitable for your height and able to pick it up easily to avoid any injury. Forks come in two sizes, a standard digging fork and a border fork for smaller areas. We also have a smaller fork, which is perfectly sized. Our Garden Life Stainless Steel Digging Fork is the lighter and more compact version of our full size Digging Fork to help you dig for longer. The fork is practical and easy to use and gives increased maneuverability around the garden. This fork is ideal for gardeners who might struggle with heavier tools. It is also great for tighter spaces and beds and borders gardening
Used for general digging, cultivating, soil turning and breaking up the soil. Choose a spade that suitable for your height to reduce back strain (a standard spade is fine for those measuring 5’6” and over). Use a border spade for smaller areas or smaller tasks. But also consider the weight of the spade and whether our Garden Life Stainless Steel Spade might be more suitable. Again lighter and more compact than our full size version, it’s easy to use around the garden.
3. Weeding Knife for slicing through weeds in patio slabs. This weeding knife has a 45-degree angled blade with the inside enabling you to cut the tops of weeds off easily. It’s also great for scraping out moss from in between paving stones. This tool comes in a full size long handled version as well as a easy to use hand size.
4. Oscillating Hoe for clearing weeds in borders. This hoe delivers maneuverability as well as agility with the upright luxury of a long shafted tool. It is the perfect height for easy working eliminating the need for bending therefore reduces back strain. The unique part to this tool is its swivel head action with a double edge blade. Use it in a push-pull motion to unroot weeds effortlessly.
5. The Hand Trowel is what you’ll use when you need to dig and loosen soil in containers and the front of borders. You can also use it while cultivating to dig out any weeds. An extremely versatile tool also available in our Garden Life range and Kids.
The Capability Hand Trowel, inspired by the work of Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, one of England’s greatest gardeners. It has been designed in his belief that in gardening everything could be improved. Therefore, this trowel has the functionality to endure many gardening tasks. It has a multitude of functions including a hammer for hammering canes and posts, as well as a serrated edge for weeding.
6. Hand Fork for use in beds and borders. It is ideal for close work around plants, raking the soil and breaking up the surface to create a loose, fine tilth ready for planting. Available in both our lighter range of Garden Life and Kids. We also have a longer handled version to eliminate bending and stretching over while gardening with our border hand fork and our Stainless Steel Long Handled Fork
7. Lawn & Leaf Rake is a spring tine rake which gently scrapes the surface of your grass, so is perfect for raking up dead leaves in autumn and winter. It has 16 steel tines to make light work of any clearing job. Its also available in our lighter Garden Life range.
It’s extremely important to use the right type of secateurs cuts when pruning. Otherwise you could bruise live stems or blunt your blades. There are two types of cut. Anvil and Bypass Cut. If you want to learn more about the different cuts please read our article Anvil Vs. Bypass Cut
8. Bypass Secateurs for the pruning of live green stems. These are the best general all-purpose secateurs and you’ll find them useful for pruning roses and other shrubs. They cut with a scissor action with one blade going across the other. This ensures that live green stems are easily pruned without damage. Using an anvil here would certainly bruise the stem and could even stunt growth.
Our Eversharp™ Bypass Secateurs are the sharpest, longest lasting, frictionless and anti-rust blade on the market. This new technology blade ensures these secateurs will stand the test of time.
9. Anvil Secateurs for the pruning of dead wood stems. This blade cuts like a knife onto a chopping block, so its perfect for hard and dead wood. If you used bypass on these types of stems it would certainly start to wear away and blunt most blades. Its essential therefore to have both types in your shed for your garden maintenance. Our Eversharp™ Anvil Secateurs are ultra hard, ultra sharp and are totally rust proof – guaranteed to last for 10 years.
10. Bypass Loppers to prune larger green live branches. Loppers are perfect for cutting off large branches, or branches that are out of hands reach or too large to cut with secateurs, requiring 2 hands. Bypass Loppers should be used on green live stems (with the same principle applying anvil v bypass cut). They come in our shorter and lighter Garden Life range as well as Telescopic . Telescopic means the handles can be extended allowing you to reach up further or to give more traction when cutting longer branches.
With these 10 tools you are ready to start gardening. Remember to keep your tools in top condition by cleaning after use and storing in your garden shed or garage rather than leaving them outside. Over the seasons your collection of garden tools will grow as will your confidence to try new tasks and tools.
All of our Kent & Stowe tools come with full guarantees for piece of mind.