PRODUCT DISCONTINUED: PAGE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
The Gardener’s Seed and Potting Mix is specially formulated with fine grade peat to ensure perfect growing conditions for seed germination.
- The traditional range for the experienced gardener
- Fine grade blend for seed germination and potting-on
- Develops stronger roots for healthy establishment
- Added horticultural sand for improved drainage
- Base Fertiliser feeds for up to 4 weeks
- No Green Waste
- 50 Litres
- Product Details
- How to Use
- Tips & Advice
The Gardener’s Seed and Potting Mix is specially formulated with fine grade peat to ensure perfect growing conditions for seed germination as well as seedling and cutting establishment.
Enriched with vermiculite, a naturally occurring substance that helps compost hold onto moisture and vital plant nutrients.
It also contains horticultural sand and seaweed extract that supports the development of stronger roots for healthy establishment of young plants.
How to Use
First put on a pair of gloves and rework the compost between your hands.
- Fill the seed tray evenly with compost, firm gently and water
- Sow seeds following the seed pack instructions and cover tray with glass/polythene to prevent drying out
- Place in warm spot out of direct sunlight until seeds have germinated
- Remove glass/polythene and keep moist until seedlings are ready for pricking out
Seedlings / Pricking out
- Prick out seedlings once they are large enough to handle
- Hold seedling by the leaves to avoid damage and gently tease the roots from the compost, using a dibber or pencil
- Plant seedlings well apart to allow for growth
- Water regularly until seedlings are ready for potting-on
- Fill container with compost, firm gently and water
- Make a sloping cut in stem of cutting, just below a joint, remove all bottom leaves and dip end of the cutting in hormone rooting powder
- Make hole in the compost with a pencil or dibber
- Place cutting into hole and firm compost gently around it
- Cover with a polythene bag to prevent drying out and place in a warm spot out of direct sunlight, until cuttings have taken
Potting-on Young Plants
- Allow enough space to accommodate roots
- Remove from pot and plant in new container, firming the compost gently around the roots
- Once fully planted, water well
When young plants are well established and strong enough, re-pot on into The Gardener’s Multi-Purpose Compost for additional nutrition.
- Store in a dry frost free place away from weed killers and other garden chemicals
- Reseal bag after use
- Unsuitable for Ericaceous (lime hating) plants
- Use in a well ventilated place and avoid breathing in dust
- Always wear gloves when gardening and then wash hands after use
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will my pets or wildlife be attracted to this product?
A. The Gardener’s Seed & Cuttings Compost does not contain any ingredients that are attractive to animals.
Q. Can I use this compost for my houseplants?
A. The Gardener’s Seed & Cutting Compost could be used with houseplants however for the best results you may want to choose a more specific to your requirements— for example our Houseplant potting mix.
Q. Can I use this compost for Potting -On
A. Yes, use as pack advice to get great results. After 5 weeks supplement feeding of nutrient hungry plants with a relevant feed such as Gro-Sure All Purpose Plant Food or repot into a suitable compost.
For any other questions or advice please contact our Technical Advice line on: 01480 443789 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org