The Gardener’s Multi-Purpose Compost is produced from premium grade Irish blended peat. Milled and graded to produce a quality growing media. It also has the correct nutrient and trace element balance to ensure healthy plants, vibrant flowers and quality fruit.
This multi-purpose compost offers the best planting conditions, therefore making it ideal for use all around the garden. It provides a ready source nutrients and minerals that will feed your plants for up to 4-5 weeks.
- Balanced peat blend
- Enriched with nutrients to last 4-5 weeks
- The traditional range for the experienced gardener
- Absorbs water for strong root and plant growth
- Perfect for plants, vegetables, trees and shrubs
- 50 litre
- 80 litre
- Product Details
- How To Use
- Tips & Advice
Westland Gardener’s Multi-Purpose Compost is produced from premium grade Irish blended peat which has been milled and graded to produce a quality growing media and blended with the correct nutrient and trace element balance to ensure healthy plants, vibrant flowers and quality fruit.
How to Use
First put on a pair of gloves and rework the compost between your hands, so it regains its intended texture. Then you’re all set.
Pots, Containers & Hanging Baskets
- Choose container with adequate drainage holes. Place layer of grit in container and fill with compost. For hanging baskets, line basket with moss or liner and fill with compost
- Plant with trailing plants around the edge and upright plants in the middle
- Water well
Beds & Borders
- Dig a hole twice the size of root ball diameter and add a layer of compost
- Place plant in hole and back fill with compost
- Firm compost around plant and water well
- Water plant well and allow to drain
- Allow enough space to accommodate roots
- Remove from pot and plant in new container, firming the compost gently around the roots
- Once fully planted, water well
- Fill seed tray evenly with compost, firm gently and water
- Sow seeds following seed pack instructions and cover tray with glass/polythene to prevent drying out
- Place in warm spot out of direct sunlight until seeds have germinated
- Remove glass/polythene and keep moist until seedlings are ready for pricking out
This compost is specially rich in fertiliser and may not be suitable for some seeds and young plants which prefer lower fertiliser levels, so we recommend The Gardener’s Seed & Potting-on Mix for best results with these.
Seedlings / Pricking out
- Prick out seedlings once they are large enough to handle
- Hold seedling by the leaves to avoid damage and gently tease the roots from the compost, using a dibber or pencil
- Plant seedlings well apart to allow for growth
- Water regularly until seedlings are ready for potting-on
- Fill a container with compost, firm gently and water
- Make sloping cut in stem of cutting, just below a joint, remove all bottom leaves and dip end of the cutting in hormone rooting
- Make hole in the compost with pencil or dibber
- Place cutting into hole and firm compost gently around it
- Cover with a polythene bag to prevent drying out and place in a warm spot out of direct sunlight, until cuttings have taken
- For best results pre-mix slow release granules into the compost before planting, this will provide your plants with a great source of feed at the roots
- When plants are in bloom, it is a great idea to feed with a liquid plant food
- Using both methods will ensure all your plants remain healthy, producing an abundance of beautiful flowers and foliage
- Store in a dry frost free place away from weed killers and other garden chemicals
- Reseal bag after use
- Unsuitable for Ericaceous (lime hating) plants
- Use in a well ventilated place and avoid breathing in dust
- Always wear gloves when gardening and then wash hands after use
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will my pets or wildlife be attracted to this product?
A. Westland Gardener’s Multi-Purpose Compost does not contain any ingredients that are attractive to animals.
Q. Can I use this compost for my houseplants?
A. Westland Gardener’s Multi-Purpose Compost can be used with houseplants however you may want to choose a more specific to your requirements—for example our Houseplant potting mix.
Q. Can I use this compost for Fruit & Vegetables?
A. Yes, you will get great results with this compost. After 5 weeks supplement feeding of nutrient hungry plants with a relevant feed such as Gro-Sure All Purpose Plant Food
For any questions or advice, please contact our technical advice line on: 01480 443789 (Mon – Fri 10am – 4pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org