A key part to growing a beautiful Orchid with flowers that last for a long time, is actually choosing the right Orchid for the environment they are going to be living in. In this article we are going show you how to choose an Orchid and why that choice is so important.
Here are the key things that you need to consider on how to choose an Orchid:
1. Choose a suitable environment with a temperature that suits the orchid type
When you choose an Orchid one of the first things you should consider is the temperature where the Orchid will be placed. You can easily find this out by placing a thermometer in the growing area and noting the minimum and maximum temperatures.
The variety of Orchid that you select depends on the temperature in your chosen area. Here are some examples on which type of Orchid is best suited in different temperatures.
|Cool (7 to 12°C)
|Warm (12 to 16°C)
|Hot (16°C or higher)
As shown in the table above, there are many types of Orchids that fit into multiple temperature groups, which shows that for some Orchids the temperature will not matter too much for their growth.
2. Consider the amount of light the Orchid will need
In general, Orchids do want light. However, some will thrive off bright and direct light, while some will want less direct and more diffused light. The below table shows what light some types of Orchid need so that you can see which type of Orchid is best for you.
|Bright, south-facing window
|Need some shade, an east-facing window
3. How much space does your Orchid need to grow
The space you have for the Orchid to grow, also determines the type of Orchid that you should grow. If you have plenty of space above then you can grow taller Orchids such as Dendrobium, Phalaenopsis and Cattleya. If you do not have much space then you can still grow an Orchid but just choose a smaller one such as Ascocentrum.
4. How to choose a healthy plant when buying in a shop
Whatever the type of Orchid or wherever you are going to place it, the most important thing when choosing an Orchid is ensuring it is a healthy plant. There are multiples things you need to look for to decide whether the orchid is healthy or not. Here are some things to consider:
- The roots: Healthy roots should be green in colour.
- The leaves: If the majority of the leaves are yellow then this indicates the Orchid is dehydrated. Some yellow on the leaves is fine but ideally you want the leaves to be a healthy green colour. Check the leaves for any small holes as this indicates pest problems. Also ensure that there are no soft, mushy or rotten parts.
- The blooms: try not to pick an Orchid that has finished flowering. This is because if there are some closed buds, then you will have blooming flowers in a few weeks in your house.
Once you have picked the perfect Orchid for your home it is just a matter of caring for it correctly. Read our guide on how to care for Orchids to keep your orchids flowering for longer.
Also see our complete Orchid range