Autumn is a busy time in the garden and a period of quick change.
Summer displays need clearing, ground needs prepping for new plantings, perennials need cutting back, fallen leaves will need regular clearance – particularly on lawns where they can block light and kill off the turf. Talking of turf, it’s also an ideal time to sow or lay new lawns and carry out repairs on worn turf.
It pays to be organised in the garden through autumn, to make sure all your plans get carried out before winter weather makes things harder or puts them on hold until next year.
- Pack away garden furniture and barbecues
- Empty summer pots and containers
- Dig compost into borders to improve nutrient levels, ready for autumn planting
- Start your autumn lawn treatments, essential for protecting your lawn over winter
- Sow a new lawn from seed
- Plant up autumn containers
- Plant out autumn/winter bedding
Fruit & Veg
- Plant garlic
- Plant onions
- Tackle persistent weeds