Our Gro-Sure Smart Lawn Seed Fast Start is a blend of quick growing, hard wearing lawn seed varieties that is ideal for over-seeding worn grass or filling in bare patches. The seeds are treated with Aqua Gel technology for improved germination. Aqua Gel can absorb 400 x its weight in water, and slowly releases it back to the seeds, when the seeds require it to germinate. Gro-Sure Smart Lawn Seed Fast Start Aqua Gel technology is also an excellent bird deterrent.
- Guaranteed to grow due to Aqua Gel technology*
- Germination success in colder temperatures
- For a strong, healthy lawn in hot and dry conditions
- For lush green grass in shady conditions
- Quickly repairs patches on your lawn
- If you are using a lawn spreader, please check out our guide to Lawn Spreader Settings
*when used in accordance with the pack instructions
- 25m2 box
- 40m2 box
- Product Details
- How to Use
- Tips & Advice
Gro-Sure Smart Seed Fast Start is a blend of quick growing, hard wearing lawn seed varieties that is ideal for over-seeding worn grass or filling in bare patches.
The fast acting lawn seed germinates in colder temperatures allowing you to extend the sowing season.
Seeds are treated with Aqua Gel technology for improved germination. Aqua Gel can absorb 400 x its weight in water, and slowly releases it back to the seeds, when the seeds require it to germinate. Aqua Gel is also an excellent bird deterrent and contains plant hormones to stimulate growth.
*This seed is guaranteed to grow when the pack instructions are followed
In good conditions blades of grass can usually be seen in under 2 weeks, however if the conditions are unfavourable this may take considerably longer.
When to Use
Sow when the soil temperature is between 7°C-18°C. If soil temperature is 6°C or less seed may not germinate or delay it’s growth until temperature increases.
How to Use
Best Conditions: Lawn seed grows best when the soil temperature is consistently around 10°—18°C. Fast Start begins to germinate at 7° C. If conditions stray out of this range, time and rate of germination can be negatively impacted
Clear away any debris and remove weeds before sowing
Tip: In dry conditions, water the soil thoroughly the day before.
1. Shake the box to mix up the seeds.
2. Using the built-in side applicator, apply the seed at the following rate:
- New Lawn (or Patch Repair): 40g/m2
- Revitalising Existing Lawn: 30g/m2
If you are using a lawn spreader, please check out our guide to Lawn Spreader Settings
3. Lightly rake to incorporate the seed into the soil surface
4. Walk over or roll the sown area to press the seed into the soil
Water the area thoroughly using a fine-rose watering can or sprinkler, taking care not to wash the seeds away.
In dry conditions, water daily to maintain soil moisture levels until seed germinates.
1. First cut at 5-8cm (2-3”) high
2. Gradually lower the cutting height to about 2.5cm (1 inch). Do not remove more than 1/3 of the grass leaf at any one time
The overseeding of your existing lawn is an essential part of your annual lawn maintenance. All lawns are affected by the specific growing environment. This includes their level of use and general weather conditions. As a result of these conditions, its key to understand the basic principles of overseeding. Its also important to choose the right seed mix to achieve a greener and healthier lawn.
- To infill damaged, bare or thin patches, as well as worn areas to achieve a greater thickness
- All of our lawn seed is pantone matched. So it does not matter if you have used a previous seed product. The colour will be the same – overseeding will improve the colour of the lawn overall
- Reduce weeds and moss
When should I overseed my lawn:
The best time to do this is either in spring or autumn or both. Germination can take between 7 and 21 days so you will require the ideal conditions these seasons will bring.
Choosing the right seed:
- For shady and dry areas try our Gro-Sure Lawn Seed Shady & Dry
- For areas where your grass never seems to grow try our Gro-Sure Smart Lawn Seed
- If you need to germinate seeds quickly and in colder conditions try Gro-Sure Smart Lawn Seed Fast Start
- Our general lawn seed for all lawns is Gro-Sure Multi-Purpose Lawn Seed
- To achieve fast results use Gro-Sure Fast Acting Lawn Seed
- Areas of your lawn with lots of traffic try Gro-Sure Hardwearing Lawn Seed
- For a showstopper lawn try our Gro-Sure Fine & Luxurious Lawn Seed
How to overseed your lawn
- Mow your lawn to approx 25mm.
- Use a spring tine rake to break up and remove the layer of dead matted grass (thatch). If the depth opf the thatch is quite dense use a scaryfing rake, as this will ensure the seed make contact with the soil allowing it to germinate
- Using a garden fork or aerator to spike the lawn at 300mm intervals
- If your lawn has not been fed in the last 4 months we recommend feeding the lawn before overseeding. Your lawn can then be overseeded 3 to 4 days after applying lawn fertiliser. However, please note you will usually need to wait about 4 weeks after applying a feed, weed & moss killer. (Check the instructions on the product for this.)
- Sow the seed evenly across the lawn
- Our range of seed can be mixed with lawn seeding soil and applied to the lawn jointly. This will save a bit of time and effort working the topdressing and seed into the surface
- The seeded area must now be kept moist. Therefore, water your lawn after 2 or 3 days if no rain has fallen.
- Specific bare patches can be reseeded without treating the whole lawn. Apply the same procedure as above
- To protect specific areas from birds consider covering with netting or garden fleece. This should be removed when new shoots start to come through the soil
- Try to keep traffic on your freshly overseeded lawn to a minimum for 7 to 21 days
- Raise mowing heights to approximately 50mm for the initial 2 or 3 cuts, then reduce down to 25mm over the next 2 or 3 cuts
- Children and pets need not be excluded from the treated areas
- Store in a cool, frost-free place away from children, pets and foodstuffs
- Use contents within season of purchase
- Contents may settle in transit
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Should I cover the seed?
A. The seed should be sown onto and lightly raked in to the soil surface and no deeper than 1-2cm. A germination sheet (or fleece) can be used to speed up the germination stage but should still be removed upon emergence.
Q. When can I use a Weed Feed & Moss Killer?
A. Your lawn must be older than a year before using this type of product.
Q. Why is this different to Gro-Sure Smart Seed?
A. The blend of seed and the species used are specifically selected for the characteristic of germinating at lower temperatures. This enables a quicker start and better establishment of the seed.
For any questions or advice, please contact our technical advice line on 01480 443789 (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org