PRODUCT DISCONTINUED: PAGE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
John Innes composts were developed over 50 years ago and are based on a traditional recipe of sterilised loam, peat and horticultural grit with added nutrients.
- Gives young plants the best start in life
- Feeds for four weeks
- Encourages healthy growth
- Develops stronger roots
- Sizes 10L, 30L
- Product Details
Westland John Innes No. 1 Young Plant Compost, a loam based compost which is a naturally reduced peat mix, is specifically designed to establish young seedlings and plants. Westland John Innes No.1 gives young plants the best start in life.
- Contains a carefully balanced nutrient content to suit young plants
- Easy to water and re-wet
- High loam content acts as a buffer for nutrients
- Heavy compost to stabilise small pots and containers
- Keep compost moist NEVER allow to dry out
- Water carefully using a watering can with a fine rose
- Do not overfeed
Handy Gardening Tips
- Store in a frost free place and away from weedkillers and other garden chemicals
Re-seal bag after use
How to use
First, put on a pair of gloves and rework compost between your hands, so it regains its intended texture. Then you’re all set.
- Fill pot with John Innes No.1 Young Plant Compost, water and allow to drain
- Prick out seedlings when they are large enough to handle
- Hold seedling by the leaves to avoid damage and tease roots out using a dibber or pencil
- Place the seedlings in a small hole, making sure that the roots are not exposed and gently fill in with compost
- Place the seedlings on a windowsill or in a greenhouse out of direct sunlight
- Feed seedlings after four weeks depending on the growing season
- When the plant has out grown the container, pot on using John Innes No.2 Potting-on Compost