Westland Bulb Planting & Potting Mix has been specially blended to support with the growth of dry, healthy bulbs.
- Added grit for free drainage
- Correct balance of essential nutrients & trace elements
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor bulbs
- Added zinc complex helps build plant resilience
- Product Details
- How to Use
- Tips & Advice
Westland Bulb Planting & Potting Mix offers the following unique benefits:
- Provides the perfect environment for root growth, allowing the bulbs to use the whole volume of the pot or container for rooting.
- Makes it easier to re-wet, retains moisture to keep the plant hydrated and drains easily to ensure that roots are not water-logged and the bulbs don’t rot.
- Holds a base nutrient supply ensuring even feeding which provides a longer period before supplementary feeding is required (typically 5-6 weeks).
At Westland, we’re always striving to make our products clearer and easier to understand so you can make more informed purchase decisions. Westland Bulb Planting & Potting Mix has a peat content as shown below.
This compost contains a medium level of peat for a better, more consistent growing medium with improved moisture and nutrient retention. It offers the ideal balance between air and water holding, making it the perfect environment for healthy root growth, keeping bulbs hydrated and nourished.
How to Use
First, put on a pair of gloves and rework the compost between your hands, so that it regains its intended texture. Then you’re all set.
Planting Bulbs Indoors
- Select large, clean healthy-looking bulbs for the best results. Place some Westland Bulb Planting & Potting Mix in the bottom of a clean container.
- Place the bulbs on this firmly, ensuring that they are pointing upwards.
- Add more bulb planting compost so that only the bulb tips can be seen above the surface. Place container in a cupboard, or anywhere that is cold, airy and dark. Examine the container regularly to ensure that it does not dry out.
- Water as necessary.
- Once the shoots have reached a height of 1-2” move the container to a light and cool room or porch (10ºC or 50ºF). Move the container again into a warmer room once the shoots have become fully green. Ensure that the container is kept away from both excessive heat sources and draughts.
Aftercare for Indoor Bulbs
- Once the bulbs have finished flowering, move them to a light cool place and continue to water regularly and feed.
Planting Bulbs Outdoors
- Dig a hole 4-6” deep and cover the bottom with a layer of Westland Bulb Planting & Potting Mix.
- Place bulbs firmly into the compost.
- Fill the remainder of the hole with Westland Bulb Planting & Potting Mix.
- Water thoroughly.
Aftercare for Outdoor Bulbs
- Once the bulbs have flowered, water regularly and feed with a liquid feed.
When to Use
Can be used for planting bulbs inside or outdoors.
- Not suitable for ericaceous (lime hating) plants.
- Store in a dry frost free place away from weed killers and other garden chemicals.
- Reseal bag after use.
- Wear gloves when handling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will my pets or wildlife be attracted to this product?
A. Bulb Planting Compost does not contain any organic feed elements so shouldn’t be attractive to animals.
Q. Can I use this compost for raised beds?
A. We would not recommend using this for raised beds.
Q. Can I use this for houseplants?
A. Yes, Bulb Planting Compost can be used for houseplants however you would get better results using a compost specifically designed houseplants such as our Houseplant Potting Mix.
For any other questions or advice please contact our Technical Advice line on: 01480 443789 (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org