This Gro-Sure Shady Lawn Seed is a blend of seed varieties specially selected for their tolerance to shady and drought affected areas. Ideal for starting a new lawn, over-seeding worn grass or also filling in bare patches. The 10m2 box features a built in seed applicator too This gives you greater accuracy as well as an even distribution across the area.
- Grass seed germinates in shady areas
- Perfect for around buildings, trees and also bushes
- Ideal in drier conditions
- Maintains colour all season long
- Seed treatment to help deter birds from feeding
- 10m2 box
- Product Details
- How to Use
- Tips & Advice
Gro-Sure® Shady Lawn Seed is treated to significantly improve germination and for quicker establishment.
- New and improved seed blends
- Our range is colour matched
- Fine grass blades for a beautiful, lush lawn
- Our lawn seed will grow on any soil type
- Your lawn will have a high disease tolerance
What to Expect
In good conditions blades of grass can usually be seen in under 2 weeks, however if the conditions are unfavourable this may take considerably longer.
When to Use
Lawn seed may be sown from March to October. Ideally sow during March to May or September to October
Where to Use
Existing lawns -to overseed
Bare soil – to establish new lawns
Patches – for repairs
Shade – around trees and shrubs
How to Use
Best Conditions: Lawn seed grows best when the soil temperature is consistently around 10—18°C. If conditions stray out of this range, time and rate of germination can be negatively impacted
Sowing a New Lawn
1. Prepare the soil by clearing away any debris and weeds
2. Dig over the soil, breaking down any lumps and tread the soil to firm it again. Level with a rake
3. Shake the box to mix up the seeds. Sprinkle in 2 passes at right angles to each other at rate of 30g/sq. m
4. Lightly rake into the surface
5. Spread Gro-Sure Lawn Seeding Soil over the surface to a 3-4cm depth and level out.
How to Thicken an Existing Lawn
1. Remove any weeds. Mow the lawn closely. If the ground is compacted aerate using a garden fork
2. Spread Westland Lawn and Turf Dressing to fill any shallow holes and to level-out the surface
3. Shake the box to mix up the seeds. Sprinkle in 2 passes at right angles to each other at rate of 25g/sq. m
4. Lightly rake into the surface
Lightly firm the ground by walking over it or use a roller. This will press the seed into the soil. Water thoroughly. Use a fine-rose watering can or sprinkler. Take care not to wash the seeds away. Water daily until established. In very hot conditions water late in the day once the sun has gone down. It’s better to water thoroughly once rather than several times lightly. Mow for the first time when grass is 5-8cm high. Gradually lower the cutting height to about 2.5cm. After 8 weeks we recommend feeding with Aftercut Ultra Green Plus Lawn Feed.
- 4-5 days before sowing, lightly rake in Westland Growmore
- When preparing to sow, if the soil is dry water it thoroughly the day before and leave to soak in overnight
- The top of the soil should be dry with moist soil just below the surface on the day of sowing
- Store in a cool, dry place and use within the season of purchase
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Should I cover the seed?
A. The seed should be sown onto and lightly raked in to the soil surface and no deeper than 1-2cm. A germination sheet (or fleece)can be used to speed up the germination stage but should still be removed upon emergence
Q. When can I use a Weed Feed & Moss Killer?
A. Your lawn must be older than a year before using this type of product
Q. Does this contain annual ryegrass?
A. No this mix does not contain any ryegrass, however when ryegrass is used in a blend only perennial ryegrasses that are developed for turf are used.
Q. Can I use this in front of my hedge, where my current grass struggles to grow?
A. Yes this mixture would be quite at home in such an area. But please keep in mind that while it is getting established it will still need plenty of water—the same as all grass seed. Once established it will be able to detail with the harsher conditions
For any questions or advice, please contact our technical advice line on 01480 443789 (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm) or email email@example.com